Will you donate "A Day for Danger"?

Lesly Danger is a 25 year old Haitian. He was attending college when the earthquake occurred. His school was destroyed and ten members of the teaching faculty were killed in the earthquake.

I (Brooke Frost) met Lesly when I traveled to Haiti in March 2010 with Healing Hands for Haiti, a rehabilitation organization that has been in the country for 12 years. Lesly works as an interpreter for Healing Hands for Haiti.

After returning home from Haiti, how to help Haiti weighed heavy on my mind and as a result, my husband and I have offered Lesly a place to live, food to eat and a family to love him while he attends college in America.

However, help is needed to raise money for his tuition, which calculates to $25 per day.

Will you donate "A Day for Danger"?

Monday, July 12, 2010

Update 7/12/2010

A lot has been happening behind the scenes regarding Lesly.  So much that I have been neglectful about posting on the blog.  I'll attempt to update you now!

As you know, Lesly's visa application was not approved.  A new visa appointment has been made for August 19th. 

After the initial "non-approval", I decided to go check out BYU's English Learning Center.  The ELC had been recommended to me previously, but only after I had the ball rolling, and fast, with Nomen Global.  Nomen Global has been wonderful and we may still work with them in the future.  However, with the need to go back to square one, my thought is that "BYU" on an I-20 Form may entice approval.  The people interviewing the Haitian applicants for visas are Americans.  Even if they are from another part of the country and have no idea what LDS means, they most likely have heard of BYU as a respected school.


Therefore, I paid a visit to the ELC.  It is in a beautiful building on the BYU Campus and a nice guy there answered a lot of my questions.  He even told me that they have had two students obtain visas from Haiti since the earthquake, so that was encouraging.
Lots of work has been done on Lesly's BYU application, including him waiting about 8 hours one day to meet with his Bishop, who was moving the very next day to Philadelphia!  The tuition to BYU ELC is more than the tuition to Nomen.  BYU requires that the full tuition amount be paid *with* the application.  Through the generous donations towards Lesly's education, I had enough to make the application to BYU.  His account is currently at $0 and we are waiting to hear on acceptance.  The tuition is refundable (minus a $50 fee) if for any reason he is unable to attend.

I have had a few people ask me recently what items are needed right now and I have compiled this list.  Please feel free to share and pass it on to anyone you think would be interested.

$140 Visa application fee (to US Government)
$12 Western Union Fee to wire the $140
$150-300/semseter - Books for ELC
$220/semester - Health Insurance through BYU
$550 - Airfare

Please feel free, also, to contact me with any questions.  brookefrost@gmail.com
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment