Will you donate "A Day for Danger"?

Lesly Danger is a 25 year old Haitian. He was attending college when the earthquake occurred. His school was destroyed and ten members of the teaching faculty were killed in the earthquake.

I (Brooke Frost) met Lesly when I traveled to Haiti in March 2010 with Healing Hands for Haiti, a rehabilitation organization that has been in the country for 12 years. Lesly works as an interpreter for Healing Hands for Haiti.

After returning home from Haiti, how to help Haiti weighed heavy on my mind and as a result, my husband and I have offered Lesly a place to live, food to eat and a family to love him while he attends college in America.

However, help is needed to raise money for his tuition, which calculates to $25 per day.

Will you donate "A Day for Danger"?

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Honor Roll!

With the publishing of the Deseret News article online and in the printed paper yesterday, donations have come from far and wide!

Yesterday was a very emotional day due to the fact that Lesly was not granted his visa yesterday, as we had all hoped for.  Acquiring a visa in Haiti to come to the US is difficult to begin with.  With the added complication of the earthquake, the burden on the applicant to "prove" to the Consular that they intend to return to Haiti is even greater.  Although I feel confident that he will indeed be granted his visa eventually, the time line we had planned will not happen.

Add into yesterday that the newspaper article was printed.  We were interviewed a month ago today so the fact that the article came out on the very same day of Lesly's visa appointment was an amazing coincidence.  So, one the one end, I had a very sad Haitian calling and texting and we were trying to re-group, make a new plan, take a few steps back, call Congressman Chaffetz's office.  On the other hand, I had all of these generous donations pouring in from all over, in all kinds of amounts!  I slept like a rock last night!

With all that said, I would like to publicly thank (though I have already personally, don't worry grandmother!) the people who donated since the article came out:

Kathrine Raile (post below)
Jeanette Gudgell
Faye Amos
Barbara Daughtry
Joan Howell
Helen Parke
Sharon Stocks
Megan Reese
Patty Southard
Maurine Reynolds
Jennifer Vollmer
Shane Brock

Much love to all of you!  Although my connections to each of range from "co-worker" to "I'll most likely never meet you in person", I consider you all friends

No comments:

Post a Comment